So like much of the “Gotta Have It Now” generation to which I’m proudly a member, I decided to give HelloFresh a try. For those of you who aren’t familiar, HelloFresh is the Berlin-based meal-kit delivery service that prides itself on quick and easy to make meals using on the freshest of ingredients. The meals rotate on a weekly basis and as a subscriber you can choose to serve up to 4 people 3 times a week or 2 people 4 times a week. With the rotating menu there’s lot of meals you can choose from. The best part is that they deliver everything to your door free of charge!
Some of the pros:
- You can modify the meals.
- There are no contracts and you can cancel any time.
- If you decide to eat out or you’re going out of town, you can skip a week without interrupting your service.
- The recipes can usually be prepared in as little as 30 mins.
- Everything you need to create the dish is included.
- They offer a referral program to help alleviate your costs.
- Nutritional facts and detailed prep and cook instructions included with each meal.
- You’ll be able to add new recipes to your repertoire.
Some of the cons:
- As with any meal kit delivery service, it can be expensive.
- Some subscribers complain about the quality of the ingredients, specifically the produce.
- Not the biggest portion sizes.
- They only offer options for 2 and 4 people. If you have a bigger family, it would definitely run you a pretty penny and if you’re single, you can always use the second serving for another meal.
My Experience & Verdict
For my first meal kit delivery service, the box came packaged nicely and everything inside was very clearly marked as to what it was. The instructions were very clear and included pictures for each step of the process. Once I was done, I was amazed by how much my finished product looked like the picture. Since each meal comes with a recipe card, I didn’t order those meals a second time, I just went to the store and bought everything and prepared it as indicated when I was ready to reuse one of the dishes. If you don’t have time to shop and cook every night, then meal kit delivery services are definitely the way to go. Other options would be use shopping services such as Shipt or InstaCart or even services like Kroger’s ClickList.
While I enjoyed the ease of use, HelloFresh isn’t really an option for my current budget, but if things change, I would definitely consider their service again. If you’d like to try HelloFresh, click here and you’ll save $40 on your first week!